Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Foam Encore

They see me rollin'......

I have had a couple of folks inquire about how I use the foam roller. Here is an article from Runner's World that talks about how to use the foam roller to improve flexibility and decrease muscle tension:  On a Roll Article

I am clearly not a fitness or medical expert so this is of course not intended to be an expert discussion on proper use of a foam roller. I do the rolls listed in the article above and usually roll until I find a trigger point, and then stay on that trigger point for like 45 seconds or so until it releases. A few of the exercises are funny looking, but I promise kids that this is a totally "G" rated endeavor.  I always try to warm up first so I am rolling warm muscles, and the whole foam rolling procedure usually takes me about 10-15 min. It is like a poor man's massage.

Hope this helps! Roll on, fellow runners!

1 comment:

  1. Fascinating! So THAT'S how you use it. Maybe I'll have to get one. Thanks for the info and recommendation!

    ReplyDelete