Sunday, January 13, 2013

Ballet...for cross-training?


Almost 10 years ago I had a major abdominal surgery to treat my carcinoid cancer. I had a 60% liver resection,  gallbladder removal, radio-frequency ablation of a bunch of tumors, and biopsies of portions of my small and large intestines. I was so fortunate that my cancer was operable, and as I come close to my 10 year survivor mark, I am feeling healthy and happy.

Since the surgery required an almost 14 inch incision right under my rib cage,  I was left with essentially no feeling in my upper abdomen. It has made any sort of core work a pretty tricky endeavor. I have tried Pilates  yoga, personal training (with 2 different trainers), crossfit, P90X, Bob Green's Total Body Makeover, standing ab routines, Zumba, boot camp, and stability ball class all with the effort of trying to regain sensory and motor control over my abdomen. I can say it has certainly improved over time, but nothing has produced dramatic results. 

One day last year I had the idea of trying ballet as an option for cross training. Ballet dancers seem to have pretty rockin' bods, and the cute clothing and pinkness fit my number one criteria for starting a workout program. This fall 3 of my friends and I enrolled in an adult ballet class, and I have to say it has really changed my body and my core! The slow concentrated effort on the upper body, along with precise directives from a pro ballet teacher were exactly what I needed. On the third class the teacher approached me and adjusted my rib cage to the more ballet friendly form, and suddenly I felt my abs engage! 10 years of trying, and it took a ballet teacher 3 classes to get my core going. Never saw that coming.  Each class I do, I feel more and more control over my abs. 

In addition to the obvious breakthrough in my core, I am pleased to say that the stretching and barre work have been an excellent compliment to running. My hips feel so much better, and my stride has improved with my increase in flexibility. I have added 2 days a week of ballet to my workout routine this year, and couldn't be happier to dance my way into my 10 year cancerversary! 

3 comments: