Sunday, March 18, 2012

Shamrock Half Marathon Recap

Happy St. Patrick's Day to our reader(s). I traveled to Virginia Beach this weekend for the Shamrock Half Marathon.  We arrived to the expo at a great time and had no issues with packet pickup. I was super excited because my race technical shirt wasn't big enough for an elephant to wear. I then was  beyond giddy  because there was a spring craft expo next door to the race expo. Too bad I had my husband with me. I tried to think of every reason possible for why it was a good idea for him to go to the craft expo. Sadly, there was never a chance.

Meanwhile back in runner's world, we went for a Saturday pasta dinner at Macaroni Grill where I promptly realized at 7pm the night before my out of town race that I forgot my cute pink Mizunos at home. Since I wear custom orthotics this was potentially a runner's worst nightmare. We had to take an emergency detour to the only open sporting goods store which of course did not  sell my shoes. I ended up buying a pair that felt similar and hoped for the best. As you can tell from the photo to the left, I made it through the race ok despite my lack of orthotics.

The race was a pretty good route, and there were lots of cute green tutus and green running gear along the way. We ran through a military base and got serious of cheers from soldiers. Kinda felt funny getting cheers from them, pretty sure I should have been giving them applause! The finish line was like Christmas as we got a medal, a hat, a hoodie, and a shamrock cookie. We then got to promptly enter a beer tent and drink beer at 9am and watch a concert. Robert was happy to join me for that party.

Now with this race done, I am one race closer to running again with Caroline at the Tower of Terror 10 miler!

No comments:

Post a Comment